HMRC have released some of the more unusual excuses from taxpayers who failed to complete their self-assessment tax return on time. We hope you enjoy this list of silly taxpayer excuses!
1. ‘My tax return was on my yacht…which caught fire’
2. ‘A wasp in my car caused me to have an accident and my tax return, which was inside, was destroyed’
3. ‘My wife helps me with my tax return, but she had a headache for ten days’
4. ‘My dog ate my tax return…and all of the reminders’
5. ‘I couldn’t complete my tax return, because my husband left me and took our accountant with him. I am currently trying to find a new accountant’
6. ‘My child scribbled all over the tax return, so I wasn’t able to send it back’
7. ‘I work for myself, but a colleague borrowed my tax return to photocopy it and lost it’
8. ‘My husband told me the deadline was the 31 March’
9. ‘My internet connection failed’
10.‘The postman doesn’t deliver to my house’
With the self-assessment submission deadline of 31 January now past and an automatic penalty of £100 for failing to submit your return on time, please contact us if you need help bringing your affairs up to date.