Tax Partners

Marriage Allowance

There has reportedly been a very low up take of the governments marriage allowance, which was introduced in April 2015 to help save couples up to £212 per annum where neither are higher nor additional rate tax payers. The relief is fiddly to claim but if you or your spouse do not have enough income to cover their personal allowance of £10,600 (for example because either one of you does not work, or has only a small amount of part time or pension income), up to £1,060 of your tax free personal allowance can be transferred to the other person, and used to save you as a couple tax at 20%.

If you would like to make a claim to transfer your allowances, please click on the link to complete the online form which, once processed, will back date your claim to 6 April 2015.

Who can apply

You can get Marriage Allowance if your partner’s income is between £10,601 and £42,385.

If you or your partner were born before 6 April 1935, you might benefit more as a couple by applying for Married Couple’s Allowance instead.

If you would like more details about the marriage allowance, or have any tax based enquires then please do not hesitate to get in contact with our Tax Team. We have a wide range of Tax specialisms across our offices in Taunton, Yeovil, Weymouth, Burnham-on Sea, Chard and Bridgeater.


Tax Partners
Albert Goodman Tax Partners


Get started today

Contact us today and speak to our expert team to get started

close slider